Sunday, November 12, 2006

Single digits......

Do you see that?! NINE DAYS?! When did that happen? I don't have a whole lot to say to people these days. I've become rather impatient in general. Not much of a talker. Somewhat rare, but it's like there's just too much on my mind to focus on normal things. But here are some updates that I definitly need to mention.

Last night was kind of a milestone. I washed her clothes for her 0-3 month sizes!! Weird. It was pretty funny though, we both went out to the washer together and loaded her clothes into the washer very ceremonially. Then, something I never do, I poured the detergent (brand new "Baby" detergent!) in and then actually "stirred" it with my hand...like I wanted every garment to be equally clean or something. HUH?? It was pretty funny. Then we sat attentively listening for it to be done so we could promptly move everything into the dryer. Like it was gonna mold or something.... kooky! But nonetheless, her wardrobe for the first 3 months is freshly washed, dried (promptly), folded/hung, and organized with care. It's very comforting.

Does it make me a bad mom if every time I think about all this fuss I've made over this little princess, I think, what if she never gets here? What if this is all a hoax - like we don't get to keep her or something. Or, better yet, what if I've gone completely mental and I've made this whole thing up? Wouldn't that be a hoot? But in all honestly, it's getting so close and we're so "ready" - bags packed, house perpetually cleaned, clothes washed, and we wait, and wait... I feel like the cast of Waiting for Guffman....what if it's all been a big misunderstanding? What if she's just imaginary?

Oh and here's one more thing making it all the more surreal - I am done with work. I left on Friday. I have some paperwork I filled out incorrectly and forgot to sign that is a requirement of my school district's bureaucrats. Then it has to get "approved" ---- but I have a doctor's note saying I should not be working anymore. What school district would ignore that though, wouldn't that be like asking for trouble? So I'm officially off on Monday and barring any ridiculous decisions on their part, I should be off from then on, until January!! Yippee!

Now, *cue the wacky new age music* I'm doing something a bit unconventional tomorrow. My chiropractor (who I am certain walks on water and has the capacity to heal anything!) suggested this to me... I'm getting acupuncture on Monday that is said to induce labor. My chiropractor's husband does the acupuncture side of their practice and she says he typically sees about a 65% success rate of a natural labor onset within 48 hours. Now, she has also indicated that I need to be "favorable" with other areas of my progression for it to really work. BUT as of last Monday, I was not showing any sign of being "favorable" whatsoever. Missie was still completely tucked away and had not begun a descent of any nature. However, I've been trying to walk more, still popping the primrose oil pills, still chugging the herbal tea, and so on, but I personally don't feel (instinctively) any signs of progress. Occasionally I feel achey in my hips and legs, which really is just a sign that ligaments are stretching and that sort of thing, but really doesn't point too much to Miss Baby per se. However, we're still going ahead with the acupuncture and hoping the magic beans will produce magical results! :)

From the department of nesting and cravings: I just sent Josh to the grocery store for some baked goods. I have a serious urge to cook "holiday treats". I think I'm going to make a pumpkin cheesecake, apple pie, and maybe cream cheese mints. OH and I found an old "giant" pixie stick in the cabinet and I just ate that. Does that sound like the behavior of a normal, stable, adult woman? I think not, but I am seriously ravenous for sugar. I'm gonna go ahead and blame the baby for that - I think she wants me to have sugar from a physical standpoint because it's just the kick start she needs to make the journey here. And from an emotional standpoint, she is ready for Thanksgiving and wants to join in the preparations. Should either of these be the case, well, I'm happy to help! Who's hungry???

By the way, my pixie stick has given her hiccups. Hee hee!!! Baby hiccups are just cute.

Oh shoot, one more thing, Josh is walking a million times better, although he still walks with a pretty significant little hobble, he's definitely walking and we're both SO grateful for that!

And finally, I have a CAR SEAT loaded in my car..............

2 comments:

Monogram Momma said...

Wow, you're really close now! I remember that last week anticipation all too well. If you want to speed her arrival up, ask your OB at your next appt if they'll strip your membranes. My Dr's wouldn't do it but lots do. Warning: it's painful! But every single person I know who's had their membranes stripped by the OB has gone into labor within 48 hours! Enjoy these last few days (or weeks, really!) with it just being the two of you! Next thing you know, you'll be riding around w/ a baby IN THE CARSEAT thinking to yourself "this just can no be real. That is a doll in there. Not a REAL baby." Trust me on that one.

Anonymous said...

Hey Niki.. saw your comment on my blog and wanted to check out your site. Guess what? My wife is due with our first in about a week and we're also doing the acupuncture thing! What a coincidence!